Stop smoking NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) programs are fast becoming one of the most beneficial quit smoking programs. NLP is not always the entire solutions but it can be the major pillar of your attempts to give up smoking cigarettes amongst other methods ands techniques that you may use.
What is NLP
- Neuro Refers to the neural network that feed into the brain. Nerve cells otherwise known as neurons are the working bits used by the nervous system to send, receive, and store signals that become information.
- Linguistics refer to the content, both non-verbal and verbal, that moves through and across these pathways.
- Programming is the way the content or signal is manipulated to convert it into useful information. The brain may direct the signal, sequence it, change it based on our prior experience, or connect it to some other experience we have stored in our brain to convert it into thinking patterns and behaviors that are the essence of our experience of life.
If this is too complicated it basically means you can use language and communications to effectively reprogram your brain so you change your behaviors. In this case changing your behavior of wanting to smoke to not wanting to smoke!
How does NLP work?
This is a huge question and very difficult to answer succinctly. As best as it can be explained NLP is a way to communicate with other and in the case of stopping smoking communicating with yourself in a way that analyzes your perceptions of the world and your behaviors. You then use methods of speaking and acting that work like a mild self hypnosis (crudely put) that allows you to change your emotional associations with certain events like smoking cigarettes.
It is not magic, it is not really classed as a science but it is a result driven way of influencing your own thinking that is flexible, personal and works!
Can NLP work for me?
While the praise for the results of stop smoking NLP programs are there it is important to note a few other factors that need to be at work for this to be successful.
The first element may seem obvious but you must have a personal desire to stop smoking cigarettes. Sometimes smokers who are trying to quit are not doing it for their own personal reasons but perhaps because they feel they have to or they are being pressured to by friends and family. Grabbing every stop smoking aid in this case is not going to give great results because none of them are a silver bullet cure! You have to want it yourself for your own personal reasons or the resentment and your lingering love of smoking will just come back and bite you later on. This can be classified as internal and external prompts, for example:
- Internal Prompt: If you are totally aware of health risks of smoking and the reason to quit is because of this knowledge of self harm. Another example is knowing that the second hand smoke you produce is harmful to your family and you wish to end any chances of making them sick because you love them. All of these types of reasons are powerful and a stop smoking NLP program can certainly be of help. On another note, when you take action like this you will probably receive more support from your family and friends as you are taking a positive step rather than forcing a step from negativity.
- External Prompts A prime example of this is a constantly nagging spouse complaining about the smoker smells, costs of your habit or other such issues. These may be real reasons for quitting smoking, but the desire to stop smoking is often not nearly as potent which can make it harder for a smoker to quit. When the cravings for a cigarette hits which it always will those with external prompts to stop smoking cigarettes are more likely to smoke that cigarette because the cost of it will be the nagging spouse which may seem bearable in comparison while those with internal prompts will be more motivated by a sense of personal failure if they give in.
This is not to deny that an external push is not a legitimate and useful reason to quit smoking but it is not as strong a force as those who have a deep personal desire.
Now while those last items were not totally about NLP they do highlight the things needed for NLP to really work for you which is a desire to succeed and a willingness to be flexible and to change your ways from within.
If you want to know more about stop smoking NLP programs click below to visit one of the most popular and most successful NLP based programs on the net that can have you changing your ways to be healthier, wealthier and wiser.